Stick the Landing
How to keep your New Year’s resolutions
by MIKE HALL, Agent/Owner/Broker
Every year you make a New Year’s resolution. Some years you may stick to them for a few weeks or even months. But sometimes you fail and vow to follow through the next year.
Here are some tips to help you keep your New Year’s resolution this year:
- Be picky and specific about your resolution. Set only one or two goals.
- Set specific goals. For example, if you want to exercise more, set a schedule of what you will do and when. Make your goals measurable to keep you accountable. Make a list of pros and cons of why you’re making this resolution.
- Pick a new resolution. Instead of picking something you’ve chosen and failed at before, find something new to avoid falling into the same pitfalls.
- Plan your resolution. Before January 1 even hits, plan on how you want to reach your goal. Outline your plan, including your motivations, how to prevent falling into old habits, and steps to achieve your goal. If you want to eat better, plan some menus or food prep so you can jump start your goal.
- Take small steps. Don’t take on too much. If your goal is to lose weight, set a smaller amount to lose at first. And once you’ve reached your goal, extend it.
- Find a buddy. Whether a friend or partner, have someone help keep you accountable and be supportive.
- Renew your motivation. If after a few weeks, you find yourself wanting to go back to your old habits or your daily routine is making it more difficult to keep with your resolution, remind yourself of your goal. Remind yourself why you’re doing this and what you will gain by achieving your goal.
- Learn and adapt. If you fall back into your old habits, don’t think of it is a failing and quitting. Don’t beat yourself up and keep trying. Look at why and see how you can make changes to keep you moving forward. Keep a journal of your journey.
- Track your progress and reward yourself. Keep track of even small successes and positive changes and reward yourself on your short-term goals.
If one of your goals for 2024 is to buy a new home, no need to go it alone. Red Edge agents are here and ready to help you navigate the Louisville real estate market, loan approvals and setting you up for an email with new listings in the neighborhoods you want! Buying a home is one goal we can help you make happen.